What Does An Ophthalmology Consult Include?
Initial Consult- 40 minutes
- Thorough review of clinical history
- Full physical assessment
- Full ophthalmic exam including: Tonometry. Slit lamp exam, Schirmer tear test and fluorescein exam, Local anaesthetic usage for examination if indicated
- Discussion regarding treatment options
Based on her findings Suzy will then discuss the best treatment plan going forward for your pet.
Suzy will arrange any follow up consultations if needed, to ensure the best case continuity possible for you and your pet.
We are equipped with the necessary instrumentation to carry out a higher level of ophthalmic service, including:
- Slit lamp biomicroscope
- Direct and indirect ophthalmoscopy
- Microsurgical operating equipment
- Loupes (magnification)
What Cases Can We See?
Suzy can see a wide range of ophthalmological conditions including:
- Conformational eyelid problems- including entropion and ectropion in both dogs and cats
- Eyelid masses
- Conjunctivitis, ocular pain or epiphora
- Distichiasis and ectopic cilia
- Corneal disease – including chronic non-healing ulcers, deep ulcers, and those that may need surgical grafting
- Corneal foreign bodies (non-penetrating)
- Prolapsed nictitans glands (cherry eye)
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye)
- Vision problems
This list is not exhaustive and if you feel your pet may benefit from our Ophthalmology service, please ask your vet to speak to our team, or call the practice so we can advise further.
Please note that we cannot carry out intraocular surgery, which includes cataract surgery. Patients requiring intraocular surgery or some other types of complicated ophthalmic problem may need to be referred to a specialist ophthalmologist at a specialist centre.
- Initial Consultation - £115
- Re-examination - £65
Our prices are usually significantly lower than at specialist referral centres and so can be a good option for clients and pets who cannot proceed with full specialist referral.
If you are a member of the Wheelhouse Healthcare Plan, this cover extends to our Ophthalmology service as well.
How Do I Arrange An Appointment For This Service?
If you are already a Wheelhouse client, please discuss this with your usual vet, who can arrange for you to be seen by the Ophthalmology clinical service.
If you are not already registered with the Wheelhouse Vets, then please contact your usual vet to request an appointment with our Ophthalmology clinical service.