Welcome to The Wheelhouse Vets Dog Training School
In June 2013, we started running our very own Wheelhouse Vets Dog Training School, alongside Minds Alike Dog Training and Behaviour. We work closely together to ensure our mutual clients have the best support and advice.
Minds Alike Dog Training & Animal Behaviour
Minds Alike Dog Training & Animal Behaviour is dedicated to helping pets and their owners understand one another. Training enhances the lives of dogs by ensuring a clear communication system between man and dog, reinforcing appropriate behaviour and self-control and providing much needed mental stimulation.
All their trainers are ABTC registered Animal Training Instructors and follow a code of conduct which aims for best practice, scientific and modern training methods and strives for a friendly and approachable learning environment for both dog and owner. They are also passionate about mentoring up and coming students of training to ensure high standards of practice are met in future generations.
Meet the team:
Laura Ward is a Certificated Clinical Animal Behaviourist (CCAB), who now specialises in dog aggression. As a fully accredited CCAB, many pet insurance companies will cover behaviour consultations.
Laura has spent ten years working in veterinary practice as a registered veterinary nurse and has always had a passion for how animals think and feel.
Being a strong believer in up to date theoretical knowledge, over the years Laura has completed accredited qualifications in behaviour and training including a First Class BSc (hons) in Applied Animal Behaviour and an Advanced Diploma in Canine Behaviour Management.
Sam Allnutt has been an accredited reward-based dog trainer for fifteen years. She has worked as a tutor on the Association of Pet Dog Trainers Instructors Course as well as running her own dog day-care and training business.
Prior to joining the Minds Alike team Sam worked for Dog Trust, initially as the Training and Behaviour Adviser at their West London Rehoming Centre and then as an Education and Community Officer visiting schools to educate children on dog safety and ownership.
Becci Bowman has a wealth of experience, having owned dogs her whole life, and worked with dogs for her entire adult life.
She has worked as a security dog handler, worked in search and rescue and run a successful dog walking business from 2003 - 2023. She now specialises in Hoopers instruction and competition.
Minds Alike believes that the behaviour and training industry should be regulated just as veterinary nursing and other medical and counselling professions are.
Currently, it is not a legal requirement to subscribe to a professional organisation or follow any sort of code of conduct. Both Sam and Laura are affiliated with organisations who are supporting industry regulation.
- Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourist (CCAB)
- Full member Association Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) No.01184
- Animal Behaviour & Training Council (ABTC) Accredited Practitioner
- Full member and vice chair for The Canine Training and Behaviour Society (TCTBS)
- Full member Association Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC)
- Scentwork UK instructor and Judge
- Full member Association Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) No.01177
- Animal Behaviour & Training Council (ABTC) Accredited Animal Training Instructor (ATI)
- ATI member of The Canine Training and Behaviour Society (TCTBS)
- Puppy instructor (Kennel Club Good Citizen - Puppy & Bronze levels)
- Agility Club Accredited instructor
- Hoopers Instructor (UK Hoopers Gold)
Membership of these organisations means our trainers/behaviourists have undertaken extensive theoretical and practical assessment to prove that they possess the skills and knowledge required to apply training techniques based on up to date, researched, methods, whilst being empathic and considerate of the animal and owner’s emotional state.
Our trainers/behaviourists are covered by professional indemnity cover and public liability insurance.
Dog training courses:
We offer a variety of courses on weekdays and weekends.
- Puppy Pre-School
- Puppy Foundation (20 weeks and under)
- Adult Foundation (20 weeks and over)
- Follow On Courses: Bronze - suitable for if you have already done a puppy or adult foundation course or similar. Progression - suitable if you have already done a bronze course or similar
- Walk n' Train | Social & Recall Course
- Introduction to Fun Gundog and Progression courses
- Scentwork Beginners and Introduction courses
- Introduction to Hoopers and Progression courses/workshops
- Introduction to Fun Agility and Progression courses/workshops
- Workshops: Recall, loose lead walking, children
- Space Cadets - Ideal for those dogs who already have some training, but struggle in a group environment and need space. This is not a reactive course, so your dog must possess some ability to cope with dogs in proximity. This course is invite only.
- Reactive class - This is for dogs who need to work around other dogs as part of a rehabilitation program. Training must have started on a 121 basis first.
To check availability and find a coures that suits you please visit https://www.mindsalikeanimaltraining.com/book-a-class
Individual, tailored training plans for a variety of training issues.
Common topics we can help with:·
- Pre puppy purchase advise: what breed would fit your lifestyle best, how to choose a breeder and what to look for in a puppy
- First time owners: for those who may be feeling overwhelmed by all the conflicting advice they are receiving via family, friends and online
- Homecoming: are you prepared for your new puppy/dog. What essentials do you need to purchase and how to cope with the very first night home
- How to introduce children to your new puppy/dog
- Pre and post dog adoption advice
- Puppy behaviours: jumping up, puppy biting, toilet training
- Basic Obedience & Life Skills: jumping up, recall, lead walking etc..
- Getting Started With Separation Training
To book a 121 session please visit https://www.mindsalikeanimaltraining.com/book-a-class
Or for more information please email: email@example.com or call Sam on 07909 943333
Dog Behaviour Consultations:
A full behaviour consultation is required if you have multiple issues or complex issues. It is so useful to sit down and organise the problems, assess priorities, gain an in depth understanding of the various issues and set an organised plan as to how to manage and improve your pet's behaviour. This requires time, which is why for complex or multiple issues a full behaviour consultation is the best option.
- Aggression and reactive behaviour
- Separation issues
- Fighting within the same household
- Resource guarding
This program is designed for owners of dogs who are reacting to other dogs or people in a undesirable way (and this is the only issue. For multiple issue cases, a behaviour consultation is required). Examples of this include:-
- Excessive nervousness
- Inappropriate Play
Veterinary referral required for all behaviour work (we will contact your vet, but we ask that you inform them and give them permission to share information with us). A report is provided post consultation (to you and your vet)
To book a session with Laura please visit https://www.mindsalikeanimaltraining.com/animal-behaviour
Or for more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Laura on 07931 566921