We are equipped with the necessary instrumentation to carry out a higher level of ophthalmic service, including:
- Slit lamp biomicroscope
- Direct and indirect ophthalmoscopy
- Microsurgical operating equipment
- Loupes (magnification)
What Cases Can We See?
Suzy accepts referrals in the following areas of ophthalmology:
- Conformational eyelid problems- including entropion and ectropion in both dogs and cats
- Eyelid masses
- Conjunctivitis, ocular pain or epiphora
- Distichiasis and ectopic cilia
- Corneal disease – including chronic non-healing ulcers, deep ulcers, and those that may need surgical grafting
- Corneal foreign bodies (non-penetrating)
- Prolapsed nictitans glands (cherry eye)
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye)
- Vision problems
This is not an exhaustive list and if you feel your pet may benefit from our ophthalmology service, please ask your vet to complete our referral form, or call the practice, so that we can advise further.
Please note that we cannot carry out intraocular surgery, which includes cataract surgery. Patients requiring intraocular surgery or some other types of complicated ophthalmic problem may need to be referred to a specialist ophthalmologist at a specialist centre.
A price list is available for initial and subsequent consultations. Our prices are usually significantly lower than at specialist referral centres and so can be a good option for clients and pets who cannot proceed with full specialist referral.
If you are a member of the Wheelhouse Healthcare Plan, this cover extends to our ophthalmology service as well.
If you require an estimate for a specific procedure before proceeding with a referral, please complete the referral form or contact the practice directly.
How Do I Arrange An Appointment For This Service?
If you are already a Wheelhouse client, please discuss this with your usual vet, who can arrange for you to be referred to the Ophthalmology clinical service.
If you are not already registered with the Wheelhouse Vets, then please contact your usual vet to arrange a referral to our Ophthalmology clinical service.
A member of our reception team will then give you a call to book your appointment and also send out some pre-appointment information.